I love eating soft, warm donuts after coming in from skating. But after eating on the THM plan it seemed like an impossibility to create a low-carb and sugar-free donut. Making them with fermented dough was easy, but I wanted something that wasn’t fattening. Like this:
Oh my goodness, these are perfection.
I can’t take credit for the recipe. My sister came up with them, to sell at Farmer’s Market, along with her wonderful Kombucha. By the way, I don’t go a day without drinking Kombucha. Just sayin’. There will be a post on that later!
These donuts are amazing any way you eat them. Dunked in coffee, along side Chai Masala Tea, covered in on-plan Powdered Sugar… but whatever you do – eat them warm. I made my own baking blend for this recipe, but I think Trim Healthy Mama’s baking blend would work fine as well.
Get your taste buds ready for warm, just-fried donuts with this video:
I will keep you waiting no longer. Here’s the recipe!
- 3 cups Baking Blend
- 1/2 cup Erythritol
- 1 tsp. Stevia
- 1 TBSP. Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Almond Milk
- 3 TBSP. Butter, melted
- 1. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- 2. Beat the eggs with the sweetener for 5 minutes.
- 3. On low speed alternately add the milk and butter with the flour, starting and ending with flour.
- 4. The dough should no longer be sticky. Cover the counter with plastic wrap, and roll the dough out onto it.
- 5. Roll out to 1/4 inch thick.
- 6. Cut out donuts.
- 7. Heat oil to 350°F.
- 8. Fry the donuts until brown on both sides.
- 9. Frost with cream cheese frosting or roll in powdered erythritol.
- 14-18 Donuts