Sometimes I start a recipe with a end goal, and then on my way there it turns into something completely different than I was planning on. Better, of course. It was like that with this recipe. I was going to make the tahini in this ice cream a very bold flavor. I added a little bit to start with, figuring it was about half the amount I would use. Then I tasted it, and my world turned upside down. Ok, not quite, but this is like a beefed up vanilla ice cream. It tastes so rich and complex.
But it’s easy! And the caramel cardamom syrup is insane! So…put them together and it’s just, wow.
The alcohol and vegetable glycerin keeps the ice cream soft so you can enjoy it straight out of the freezer. Which is important for me, because once I get an ice cream craving I don’t want to be stabbing at a block of frozen ice cream for 15 minutes before it un-thaws. Every ice cream enthusiast understands. But if you don’t like to use alcohol, you can leave it out and just set your ice cream out for 20 – 30 minutes to un-thaw.
If you’ve got plenty of time, un-thawing it in the fridge is best. Or you could disregard all this un-thawing stuff and eat it straight from the ice cream freezer.
- 2 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 tsp. Stevia
- 1/4 tsp. Tahini
- 1 TBSP. Whiskey
- 1 TBSP. Vegetable Glycerin
- 3 pinches Celtic Sea Salt
- 1. Put everything into a blender and blend until smooth.
- 2. Freeze in an ice cream maker, following your manual's instructions.
- 3. Top with caramel cardamom syrup and serve.
- 2/3 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Xylitol
- 1 stick cold Butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 1 tsp. Cardamom, freshly ground
- 1 tsp. Blackstrap Molasses
- 1. Gently heat the cream in a saucepan.
- 2. In another saucepan melt the xylitol over medium heat.
- 3. Add the butter to the melted xylitol piece by piece.
- 4. Carefully add the warm cream (it will bubble quite a bit).
- 5. Stir in the salt and cook the caramel until the butter has browned. It takes some time!
- 6. Add the cardamom and simmer for about a minute.
- 7. Take off the heat and stir in the blackstrap molasses.